The holidays are the perfect time to spend time with the people you love. If you’re traveling by car to see them, make sure road safety is on your to-do list this season. The auto insurance agents at Batesburg Insurance Agency want to help you have the best time possible. Here are some helpful holiday road safety tips to help you as you get behind the wheel:
- Buckle up – Never start your car until everyone buckles up. Seat belts save lives, so please make everyone in the car is safely secured in the vehicle. Check to make sure car seats are properly installed inside your car. Be an example for your family by clicking that seat belt before you crank the car.
- Put the phone away – Make sure to tuck your phone away once you’re ready to drive. If you’re using it as a GPS, turn on the notifications that let callers and texters know that you’re on the road and can’t respond at the moment. Otherwise, store all distracting items away from your person as you head out on the road.
- Stick to the speed limit – Please follow the speed limit at all times. Driving in winter weather in the midst of busy holiday traffic can increase the chances for hazards and auto accidents. Following the speed limits can better help you avoid serious problems on the road.
- Letting your teen drive? Supervise them – For parents letting their teenagers get behind the wheel, don’t let them drive alone. Long hours of darkness and the threat of winter precipitation can be stressful for new drivers. Be their guide while they drive to their destination. If you can’t be with them, review important safety tips and advise them to drive with caution.
- Review your auto policy – Finally, we recommend that you look over your car insurance policy to better understand your coverage. Sometimes accidents occur, no matter how hard you try to follow the rules and stay safe. By taking the time to review your policy, you’ll know exactly what to expect should an incident occur.