When you think about car insurance, cost may be the first thing that comes to mind. But before you sign up for a policy with a car insurance agency, it’s even more important that you know your state’s auto insurance requirements. What type of coverage do you need – and how much? Batesburg Insurance Agency wants drivers in Lexington, West Columbia, Saluda, and surrounding areas to know South Carolina’s auto insurance requirements:
- Liability coverage – All states require that drivers have liability coverage. However, each state’s coverage requirements vary. This is because factors like road conditions and climate change from place to place. As a result, the likelihood of your being involved in an accident changes, too. This is why states have different liability coverage requirements. In South Carolina, all drivers must have:
- Coverage for bodily injury
- Coverage for property damage
- The minimum amount needed for liability coverage – States also specify the minimum amount of liability coverage you must have. In South Carolina, your policy must include:
- $50,000 liability coverage to help cover injuries caused by two or more individuals
- $25,000 liability coverage for any auto or property damage caused by you
- $25,000 liability coverage to help cover injuries caused
- South Carolina’s requirements and your needs – Depending on your vehicle, your family, and other factors, you may end up needing more than the minimum coverage for your vehicle. It’s never a bad idea to get additional coverage, but it is best to aim for a policy that meets both your needs and your budget. Review your policy with an independent insurance agent to find just what you need.
As a trusted South Carolina car insurance agency, Batesburg Insurance Agency is here for you. Request an auto insurance quote today and let us protect you and your family.