Searching, buying, and closing the deal – being a brand new homeowner is so exciting! However, when it comes to buying home insurance, it can be a bit intimidating. But you don’t have to worry. Batesburg Insurance Agency is here to help you insure your home in Columbia, Lexington, and surrounding areas of the South Carolina Midlands. We’ve put together a quick and easy beginner’s guide for buying home insurance:
- Location is key – The cost of your insurance will be largely determined by your home’s location. For example, homes by the coast are going to cost more to insure due to the threat of hurricanes and flooding.
- Invest in flood insurance – Homes located near flood zones are required have to have a separate flood insurance policy to cover those damage claims. These policies are offered by the federal government through the National Flood Insurance Program. Even if you don’t live in these zones, it’s still wise to invest in flood insurance because, as a FEMA spokesman said, “Anywhere it can rain, it can flood.”
- Earthquake insurance is handy, too – According to data from the Insurance Information Institute, as many as 39 states have experienced tremors caused by earthquakes. Sadly, the resulting damages aren’t usually covered by typical home insurance polices. Homeowners, both new and experienced, should purchase an addition to their policies for earthquake-related claims. The cost for this addition will vary by location, as well as the type and age of structure being insured.
- Homes with pools – There’s nothing quite as satisfying as jumping into a cold pool on a hot afternoon – except having liability coverage on that pool. If you’re found responsible for an accident involving your pool or hot tub, liability coverage may help pay court costs and damages.
- Learn your home’s history – If there was a claim filed on your property in the past five years, your rates could go up – even if you didn’t own the home at the time. However, not all prior claims have a negative effect. For instance, a claim for replacing a roof damaged by a storm may not count against you in the way other claims would.
- High deductibles pay off – Take a look at all of your policy options to compare rates, coverage options, and deductibles. Pay special attention to the deductible and opt for the highest one you can afford. A higher deductible saves you money year after year and encourages filing a claim only in the most serious situations. This will help reduce your home insurance bill.
Get started on insuring your new home with Batesburg Insurance Agency. Download a quote request form today and we’ll find the best coverage for your home in Columbia, Batesburg, Leesville, Lexington, Irmo, Saluda, and surrounding areas.